What do elementary school counselors do?
- Teach classroom guidance lessons based upon the required domains (academic, personal/social and career)
- Facilitate short-term small group counseling (some examples include: friendship building, family changes and communication skills)
- Provide immediate and short-term individual counseling
- Work collaboratively with parents, teachers and staff
- Provide information and/or referrals for community resources to families
Tammy Davidson: School-based Therapist
New River Valley Community Service
What does a school-based therapist do?
- Provide one-on-one and group therapy sessions to students referred by school staff
- Link families to community resources
- Make referrals to child psychiatrists at New River Valley Community Services for medication management if needed
- Collaborate with faculty and the principal to help children and families in need
- Provide crisis intervention and management